How to take care of your pets dental
Taking care of your teeth is just as important as taking care of your pet’s teeth. If you don’t take care of your pet’s dental needs it could cause problems for your dog later down the road as well as cost you more money. Pets are just as capable of developing dental problems like tartar, buildup of plaque, and gingivitis. These can then lead to more problems within the liver, kidney, and heart. Here are some of the correct actions you should take now to make sure your pet’s dental care is taken care of.
Brush Your Pet’s Teeth
Just like we are recommended to do every day, brushing your pet’s teeth can save you and them from a lot of problems. There are special pet dental toothbrushes and toothpaste that should be used when cleaning your pet’s teeth. Do not use human toothbrushes and toothpaste as it will not work properly for your pet’s teeth.
Getting your pet to enjoy brushing their teeth might be difficult but nevertheless, it is important. Some steps to follow to make your pet enjoy it more are:
- Start slow – Build into the routine of brushing their teeth and increase the time each time.
- Brush their teeth after they have exercised – After they have ran around for a little bit they may be more inclined to sit still while you brush their teeth.
- Reward them with a treat – After they sit and get their teeth brushed, give them a treat to reinforce that behavior
Here are some other quick tips to help keep your pet’s dental care in check
- Start early with your pet
- Pick the right toothpaste for your pet, contact your veterinarian for what you should look for
- Dry food is better for your pets dental than soft food
- Check for chew bones that clean teeth
If you have any more questions about your pet’s dental care give us a call or visit our website Animal Medical Center.