Dog Vaccines Every Appleton Dog Owner Should be Getting
Taking care of your pet can be difficult and stressful from all the stuff you have to buy them to taking care of them. It can be difficult to know what is necessary and what isn’t that important. Here are dog vaccines that every Appleton dog owner should have.
These vaccines are usually administered at a very young age typically at 6, 12, and 16 weeks of age. The core and most recommended vaccinations include:
- Distemper – Helps against the virus attacking the respiratory, gastrointestinal, and nervous system of the puppy or dog
- Hepatitis – Helps against fighting the hepatitis virus
- Leptospirosis – Helps your dog fight against contracting diseases
- Parainfluenza – Helps your dog fight against a respiratory virus known as kennel cough from being in close proximity to each other.
- Rabies – Helps fight against rabies in dogs that could be contracted from saliva or other ways. Rabies vaccines are required by most dog parks and doggy daycares so this is an important vaccine to get every 1 to 3 years depending on your veterinarian’s recommendations.
After the core dog vaccines, lyme disease and rabies shots are highly recommended as well as continuing to protect your dog against heartworms with regular heartworm medication. If you are taking your dog to the normal check-ups your veterinarian should determine the correct and best steps to take for you and your dog.
Another option for dog owners could be a titers test which is usually administered before the typical dog vaccines. The titer tests are a measure of how well your dog’s immunity level is and can help determine what vaccinations are necessary for your dog to get.
Making sure your dog is well looked after in the future is about making sure your dog is healthy from a young age and keeping him healthy and listening to the advice your veterinarian gives you.
If your pet continues to struggle with skin allergies, contact us for more information on how to help or check out our other blogs. If you have any questions about pet allergies, pet adoption, or vet visitations, contact Animal Medical Center to answer your questions. We serve pets in the Appleton, Menasha, Neenah, Grand Chute, and the surrounding areas. Call 920-749-1717 or visit us at the Animal Medical Center of Appleton.